Bicycle related fatalities and injuries are more common than you might think. 716 bicycle fatalities and 53,000 bicycle related injuries occurred in 2008, accounting for 2% of the total annual traffic related deaths and injuries according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). These facts are sad and demonstrate the high amount of negligence that exists on our roads today. If you have been in a bicycle accident that was caused by another person, you may be eligible to win compensation for your injuries.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
- Inattention: Drivers often fail to see cyclists while turning at intersections or simply fail to see them at all while driving on the road.
- Depth Perception Misjudgments: Many cyclists are struck by automobiles when drivers miscalculate the amount of space they need when passing bicycle riders on the road.
- Design Defects: Many bicycle accidents occur because of a defect in the product design.
- Intoxication: The NHTSA states that 37% of all bicycle related fatalities involve alcohol intoxication on either the cyclist or driver’s part.
Whatever the cause, paying for a serious bicycle accident injury is costly. According to the NHTSA, 8 billion dollars are spent on treating bicycle injuries every year. Bicycle accidents and head / brain injury costs account for the majority of emergency room expenditures for two reasons:
- Most Common: Head injuries are the most frequent injury caused by bicycle accidents.
- Most Expensive: Injuries to the head often last longer than other injuries, requiring longer periods of medical treatment.
Fight for Justice with an Experienced Bicycle Accident Lawyer
The attorneys at Patton Mosier have 25 years of experience in litigating bicycle accident cases. Our office is highly selective in choosing the clients we represent. A small case load allows us to provide you with the aggressive legal representation you need in order to acquire the money you deserve. For example, in 2018 Patton Mosier settled what is believed to be the largest bicycle crash case in the County of Solano for $14 million. Contact us immediately to speak with an experienced bicycle accident lawyer so you can begin the process of fighting for the money you need to move on with life.