- Army Veteran wins $2.56 Million verdict against Phoenix VA
- Woman, 4 others settle for $1.4 Million
- Cancer Victim Wins Judgement
- OCTA settles injury lawsuit
- Hospitals to pay family $8 million
- Legal battle swirls around veteran in vegetative state.
- $17.6 million awarded in malpractice case.
- Fontana Kaiser ordered to pay $848,000
- $1.1 million is awarded after surgeon found negligent
- Claim faults TCHD
- Coroner: Morphine Triggered boy’s death
- Family Sues Home Depot in Girl’s Death
- Loss of son devastates couple
- Shooting victim gets $2.3 million
- Jury awards $1 million in harassment case
- O’side man wins $1.1M in lawsuit
- Lawsuit: Disney Security too harsh
$17.6 million awarded in malpractice case
COURTS • Jury decides ER doctor was negligent in treating car-crash victim.
By Gregory Hardesty – The Orange County Register
A newlywed who survived a car crash with minor injuries, only to end up in a permanent vegetative state after a routine hospital tests, was awarded $17.6 million by a Santa Ana jury Wednesday.
The medical-malpractice judgement is one of the largest in recent Orange County history.
The bulk of the award – $15 million – will pay for the future medical care of Sean Paul Ponce, 28, who on Nov. 14, 1999, could not breath for 11 minutes because of negligent care at Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, jurors found.
His wife, Priscilla, was awarded $1 million for loss of her husband’s love and companionship. At the time of the accident, Sean and Priscilla Ponce had been married six months. Sean Ponce, formerly of Santa Ana, now lives in a Tustin nursing home.
“He loved me for being me – not for my looks, not nothing, just for being me,” said Priscilla Ponce, 29. “He was my first boyfriend, my first husband. He was the world to me.”
Dr. Bruce Bullias, described by his attorney as a well-qualified emergency-room specialist for more than 25 years, was negligent in caring for Sean Ponce, the 12 jurors decided at the Orange County Courthouse.
Jurors determined that Bullias left the emergency room before properly …